S&D Coffee & Tea has released its 2019 sustainability report, Rooted in Impact, summarising efforts and progress the company made throughout 2017 and 2018.
“Over the last two years, we have made significant progress in improving the environmental, economic, and social impact of our business,” says Ron Hinson, President and CEO of S&D Coffee & Tea.
“Embedding sustainability throughout all aspects of our business is critical, not only to our company’s future, but the future of the entire industry. With the help of our employees, customers, and our partners across the supply chain, we are committed to continuously strengthening our sustainable impact.”
The company’s key focus areas include sustainable sourcing, environmental conservation, workplace responsibility, and corporate citizenship.
The report highlights action including:
• Providing more than 4600 smallholder farmers across six countries with tools and resources to optimise their farms’ productivity, reduce cost of production, enhance soil health, implement water management, and build resilience to changes in the market and climate;
• Conserving 40,000 gallons of water by implementing a greywater recycling program at S&D facilities;
• Developing the Leadership Equity and Diversity Scholarship program with the Specialty Coffee Association. The two-year scholarship puts professional development resources in reach for people from underrepresented or marginalised communities;
• Supporting Elma C Lomax Research and Education Farm with financial assistance, employee volunteering, and repurposing spent coffee grounds as organic soil enrichment;
• Working with Sustainable Solutions Corporation to build a road map to operational efficiency and natural resource conservation; and
• Targeting management of fleet trucks, which helped earn S&D Coffee & Tea the 2017 High Performer achievement award from SmartWay, a United States Environmental Protection Agency program.
For more information, click HERE.