After a two-year hiatus, the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) United States Chapter has announced the 2023 US Coffee Championship Preliminary Competitions host dates.
The locations span across 13 different cities in the US, making competitions accessible to many unique communities across the nation.
“After missing two years of preliminary events due to the pandemic, we are so excited to see these member-driven events returning to coffee communities around the country,” says US Competition Committee Chair Lauren Lathrop.
“Prelims are the best way for new competitors, judges, and volunteers to get involved with coffee competitions and gain valuable experience in their roles. We are so grateful to everyone who applied to host a prelim and look forward to a fun and successful preliminary season.”
The 2023 US Coffee Championships Preliminary dates and locations are as follows:
- Aug 19 – 21: Hawaii Coffee Association (Kailua, HI) – Brewers Cup & Roaster
- Aug 26 –28: Presta Coffee Roasters (Tucson, AZ) – Barista, Brewers Cup, & Cup Tasters
- Sept 2 – 4: Fluid Cooperative (San Francisco, CA) – Barista
- Sept 9 – 11: Black & White Coffee (Raleigh, NC) – Barista & Brewers
- Sept 9 – 11: Luce Coffee Roasters (Houston, TX) – Latte Art
- Sept 16 – 18: Luce Coffee Roasters (Houston, TX) – Roasters
- Sept 16 – 18: Sweet Bloom Coffee (Denver, CO) – Barista, Brewers, CIGS, Latte Art
- Sept 23 – 25: Houston Coffee Collective (Houston, TX) – Cup Tasters
- Sept 30 – Oct 2: The Crown (Oakland, CA) – Cup Tasters & Roaster
- Oct 7 – 9: Blanchard’s Coffee Co (Richmond, VA) – Brewers, Barista, CIGS
- Oct 7– 9: Tinker Coffee Co (Indianapolis, IN) – Cup Tasters & Roaster
- Oct 21 – 23: Spyhouse Coffee Roasters (Minneapolis, MN) – Barista & Brewers
- Oct 28 – 30: Uncommon Coffee (Essex, VT) – Barista & Latte Art
- Oct 28 – 30: Brio Coffeeworks (Burlington, VT) – Cup Tasters
US Coffee Championship Preliminary competitions are community-driven events hosted entirely by the SCA USA Chapter and US Competitions Committees alongside community volunteers.
This allows community members the chance to host an official competition as an accessible, low stakes platform to introduce any newcomer to competitions. Select rankings for each competition will move on to compete in the 2023 Qualifiers.
For more information, visit uscoffeechampsionships.org.